Do you suffer from excessive underarm sweating? You are not alone! According to new research, approximately 5% of the world’s population suffers from excessive sweating, also known as hyperhidrosis.
Hyperhidrosis results from over-stimulation of the sweat glands by the nervous system, leading to excessive sweating under the arms. Hyperhidrosis can be an embarrassing and annoying, Furthermore, it can even become an isolating problem. Often the uncontrollable underarm sweating can feel like it’s ruining your life.
There are many treatment options available to combat excessive sweating.
- Antiperspirants – Non-invasive and topical, these antiperspirants are available in different strengths. Over-the-counter, which can come in “both regular” and “clinical” strengths, and prescription.
- Oral Medications – Anticholinergics block chemicals that allow communication of certain nerves, leading to reduced body sweat.
- Iontophoresis – A mild electric current is passed through a basin of water in which your hands or feet are soaking – a treatment for those with hyperhidrosis of the hands and/or feet.
- Botulinum toxin type A (BOTOX®) – works by blocking the secretion of the chemical that activates sweat glands.
- MiraDry System – This device uses electromagnetic energy to eliminate underarm sweat glands permanently.
- Surgery – Some underarm surgery techniques include: excision, curettage, liposuction, and laser.
BOTOX for Excessive Sweating
Most people are familiar with BOTOX Cosmetic, used to treat forehead lines, crow’s feet and frown lines. However, clinical studies have shown that BOTOX that is injected into the skin under the arms has successfully provided relief of severe underarm sweating in most patients. It basically “turns off” the sweat glands under your arms.
Most people require around 100 units (50 units under each arm) of BOTOX to treat excessive sweating. The more units injected, the longer the drying effects can last. Within 4 weeks of your first treatment, you should notice a significant reduction in underarm sweating. Keep in mind the duration of the results will vary on an individual basis as each body will break down BOTOX differently. However, studies have shown that one treatment can provide up to 201 days (6.7 months) of drier underarms!
So, if you are ready to rid yourself of the embarrassing sweat stains under your arms creating awkward social situations, contact Broadway Skin Essentials to schedule a consultation with one of our top Aesthetic Nurse Specialists, and we can help you determine if BOTOX is right for you! Call 303.803.1004